The most common problem in residential buildings is wet walls or dampness. The problem is not just unsightly, but it also results in an unhealthy environment because wet wall often leads to bacterial growth and mold and mildew. Dampness causes permanent damage to the finish on the walls, which includes plaster and paint and other surface finishes.
What is Dampness/Seelan?
The problem is easily visible and can be found on any wall and all over your house. It occurs when a wall comes in contact with the ground, and as a result, dampness is visible on both inside and outside.
How to remove Dampness(Seelan)?
Every room should be dry and well ventilated to keep the rising problem of dampness at bay. There are varied methods to treat the problem. Most popular ways are listed below, have a look:
- Damp Proofing: It is essential to keep the foundation dry to avoid dampness / seelan / सीलन problems. So a continuous layer of waterproof mortar can be installed to make a proper DPC. The damp proof course can be installed by removing a line of bricks near the floor level and by inserting the waterproof mortar.
- Avoid leakage: Make sure the rainwater pipes are tightly fit. Besides, all the sanitary and water supply fittings must be tight. In addition to this, rainwater should not penetrate any of the joint of the structure. If there is any space between ceiling and roof, then install proper ventilation to the area.
- Repair and re-plaster the surface: If there is an affected area in your house then use some waterproof plaster or cement mixture to repair the surface. Re-plaster process can be done with the help of delivery tubes, simply put the tubes near the walls and transfuse the liquid, the liquid will work as a membrane and a strong barrier against moisture and dampness.
Also Read: How to prevent cracks in Building
Tips to Remove Mold
Dampness should be treated with above-mentioned ways, but if you haven’t followed these tips and simply want to clear the frequently coming mold and mildew on the walls, then some handy cleaning tips can be tried.
- A solution of chlorine bleach and water can be used to clean the walls. One part of bleach and three parts of water do the trick.
- Any household detergent with bleach as an active ingredient can be used for cleaning the mold.
- The blackened area can be cleaned easily with a stiff brush.
- If mold and mildew return on the walls, then use a good electric de-humidifier.
Mold and mildew can return on walls if there is bad insulation at your home. Make sure the walls and ceilings are properly insulated to cut out the damp conditions.
Chemicals to Remove Seelan / सीलन:
There are lots of chemically formulated cleaners available in the market that can be used for the purpose. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and use protective gears like glasses, gloves, and mask before using any sort of specialized product. As a healthy and safe alternative, seek expert guidance. Professionals know how to apply the chemicals and rinse the walls safely. They have the skills to tackle the root cause of dampness.
Where to Buy:
Chemicals to remove seelan or dampness are now available online for purchasing. You can buy it online from your favorite stores. Given below are the websites from where you can buy these chemicals: