Radium, the element discovered by Madam Curie, exhibits a unique property of self-luminous, i.e. it glows even in the dark. This property has led the industry to make its use in various fields. One of the fields being, the luminous wall paints that has been in the trend since 1960 and initiated in 1908. During the early period, the element Radium was used in the paints, but then due to its impeccable toxic and dangerous effect its use was banished.
But Radium Paints, brought into an era of lustrous and appealing interiors, the one that gives sheen luster and bright glow to the rooms. The Radium Paints are now available as Phosphorescent paints and Fluorescent paints in the market. Fluorescent paints glow on exposure to even the long waved ultraviolet frequencies, whereas the Phosphorescent paints glows even without exposure to the light and are more durable and have a sustained glow in the dark.
The procedure of how to make radium paints at home is illustrated below.
- Phosphorescent Powder
- Clear Liquid medium that can be either epoxy or acrylic emulsion or polyurethane.
Steps to be followed:
- The online store suppliers or the craft shops provide the Phosphorescent A jar of the Phosphorescent powder can be purchased that would be available in different colors. There can be two sizes in which it is available; the finer grain particles give a regular layer, but less luminosity whereas the larger particles gives more luminosity but an uneven surface.
- A high gloss medium or an iridescent gel may give a thick matte. The clear polyurethane, acrylic emulsion or epoxy can be used.
- Initially, make a mixture of clear liquid medium and phosphorescent powder in the ratio of 3:1. Do add white acrylic paint as a binder in case the Phosphorescent powder doesn’t mix well. Add in different proportions the clear medium till you feel that the entire paint solution can be applied with a fine texture.
- The paint should be used on the very same day. The prepared paint solution should be applied in many thin layer coats for long lasting effect.
The Radium paint glows without exposure to the light. The Radium Paint keeps the dirt to the minimum level and also dusts can be avoided. Also, there are effective in hiding the dark marks on the walls.